Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dizzy Kitty

They say bad news comes in three's. I've hit two today, so I sit here typing this...waiting. Hit me with your best shot bad news! I can take it. I'm a whole new woman these days. :-) My first bad news of the day, was about Birgit's mom. I won't go into details, but things don't look good for her mama health-wise, and I'm sending all my good thoughts and prayers her way. It feels good to let people know you care, even if there really isn't anything you can do (although I am a fabulous box of kleenex sometimes). Call me a voodoo believer or what have you, but I do think everything happens for a reason, and we just have yet to find the reason in this situation. I Love you Birg, and I hope you're dealing with everything the best you can. You know where to find me when you need me.
Next, as I sat down to read Seth's most fabulous essay (he's going to be published! Well sorta, the essay's from his class will be published in a book; you can bet I'll be one of the first in line to buy it when it's out, and I will indeed, make Seth autograph my copy) Brad let me know that my cat was acting rather odd. In fact, quite odd. So odd that he wanted me to call the vet immediately and make an appointment.
So after I stop freaking out a bit and tried to get a hold of the vet, they told me to bring Pepper (aka Roni, Roo, etc) in as soon as I could. They were concerned about some form of toxic ingestion based on the symptoms I was describing. Of course this naturally freaked me out more, I picked up and just left work, and I panicked all the way down US-23 doing 90 mph.
After we both got to the vet, and awesome Dr. Frye checked Pepper out, we at least got our bad news with a swift dose of good. Turns out he has Vestibular Disease. The good part of that, is that it goes away on it's own, the disease is totally random and entirely not contagious, and my Roo will live. The bad news, is that he looks so sad right now! Vestibular disease is kind of like having intensely bad vertigo, and my kitty's head tilts to the left, he's got crazy horizontal random eye movement, he can barely stand or walk, and he just looks miserable. Like he's having a seizure. It's also supposed to take almost an entire month for him to return to normal. Especially scary for an overprotective cat mom like myself! But we're both dealing the best we can, and we did get in a quick cat nap this afternoon all snuggly together. Here's to hoping my Roo is back on the road to recovery soon!

1 comment:

Birgles McGee said...

awwww, poor kitty!!! i am SO happy to find out that pepper will be okay, even if you have to wait out a month of wacky walking. and thanks for your mama swanson thoughts and prayers. things are grim, but everything is going to be okay. it means so much to have friends who can offer up so many perspectives and words of comfort and to know they'll be there in the end with me, too. big hugs and kisses. and give pepper a little snuggle for me!!!