Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ch, ch, changes

Things have been busy around here kids! Hence my absence from semi-frequent blog posts. Spring always does this to me though. I spend so much time outside that sometimes it just feels torturous to be locked indoors next to the computer. I spend enough time in front of it during working hours as it is. :-)
Anyway, here's what's happening in Milan regarding all things spring! First up, Brad and I are planning on building a deck over Memorial Day. We've got the backyard all staked out, ready to drill holes and then fill them with concrete. We get to rent a cool machine called a "dingo" to do it, and I'm so excited.
Our "pretend" deck
Next up, I planted some of my garden. I planted some herbs as I did last year on the side of the shed, but this year I've also decided to embrace the square foot gardening method, and I've got four 4'x4' raised beds behind the shed. Now I just have to get around to filling them with dirt!
Herb gardenNew raised beds
Finally, I've gone to the birds. I noticed an Oriole on my hummingbird feeder early last week, and I've been obsessed with him every since. So I headed up to Wild Birds Unlimited to get an oriole feeder. It cracks me up that an Oriole's favorite foods are oranges and grape jam! I also picked up an ordinary feeder to try and attract some of the cardinals once the deck is all finished. Now, here's to hoping that the cats won't scare away the birds!
Oriole FeederCan I get some Cardinals with this feeder?

No comments: